Contemporary Art Museum,Kumamoto
Contemporary Art Museum,Kumamoto intends to create a tolerant city that accepts diversity
and a future where citizens can live in a truly fulfilling way.
Contemporary Art Museum,Kumamoto aims to be a museum of the
times that each and every citizen can depend on.
- 1.Become a place where one can regularly come in contact with diverse facets of culture.
- 2.Provide plenty of opportunities for others to have their emotions stirred.
- 3.Continue to think about the future of our city along with citizens.
- June 1993
- Planning for the construction of an art museum begins after the family of late artist Nobumichi Ide donates his major works to the City of Kumamoto
- Kumamoto City Council announces that an art museum will be constructed as part of the Kamitori District A First Urban Redevelopment Project
- April 1997
- Kumamoto City government establishes the City Museum Construction Project in the then Cultural Promotion Section of its Policy Planning and Finance Bureau's Planning and Public Relations Department.
- September 1997
- Kumamoto City Art Museum Construction Analysis Committee founded to discuss the basic principles behind the new museum as well as its functions and activities
- July 1998
- Kumamoto City Art Museum Construction Analysis Committee releases its interim report detailing the construction framework for the art museum
- March 1999
- Kumamoto City Art Museum Construction Analysis Committee releases its final report, entitled "Design Ideals for Contemporary Art Museum, Kumamoto"
- January 2000
- Groundbreaking ceremony held for the construction of the Kamitori District A Urban Redevelopment Building, which will house the new museum
- December 2001
- Contemporary Art Museum, Kumamoto Ordinance enacted, establishing the Kumamoto City Arts and Culture Promotion Foundation as the new museum's governing body.
- March 2002
- Museum Establishment and Preparation Section established in the Policy Planning and Coordination Bureau (the current Planning and Financing Bureau).
- October 12, 2002
- Contemporary Art Museum, Kumamoto opens